Blog Post #7 PLN & Education

Explore the video provided and reflect on the themes of a PLN in a professional capacity.

Brad Baker mentioned in the video that he is an educator who is committed to promoting the indigenous Education Project and also doing educational activities against racism. In the video, he discussed the role of PLN in promoting the development of personal and future well-being, and even the establishment of a healthy and diverse community. It is also mentioned that social media provides people with a broader voice platform. He discussed that social media, like Twitter, allows him to hear the authentic voice, it allows the real story to be told.  Instead, hearing the information that is second or third hand, it generally loses its meaning at some point. At the same time, Brad Baker was the first indigenous educator in the northland school district, he also discussed the influence of young voices in the community. They brought more changes, and they also influenced various activities surrounding commercial sports culture.

Which social media platforms are beneficial in education?

As mentioned in Alec Couros’s article, tools related to blogging, wikis, social bookmarking, photo sharing, and video sharing are all social platforms that are beneficial to education. For example, Brad Backer said in the video. He believes that Twitter provides a platform where more true stories can be told and heard by people instead of being controlled by the voice of mainstream media. For another example, in the story told by Jess, the young man used Instagram to share photos to let people know that there are such beautiful northern lights in the world. At the same time, in my experience, youtube is also a useful platform for education, whether it is sports, music, culture, professional knowledge, I can search for relevant information on it. More experienced people in the industry share their experiences through videos.

Consider the equality that exists when all have the same platform to engage community dialogues.

I think that when everyone has the same platform, it means that they will have equal access to all kinds of information, resources and opportunities. Everyone will have the same power to speak, let the world hear her story, instead of blindly being imprisoned by a voice. Of course, people can equally choose whether to make a choice for all points of view, and people can equally choose whether to participate in various activities without being judged.

Couros, A. (2010). Developing personal learning networks for open and social learning. In Velestianos, G., (Eds.). Emerging technologies in distance education. (pp. 109-128). AU Press. 

Miller. (2021, June 10). Brad Baker EDCI 338. YouTube.         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z8iHxW2n4

1. joerica

Hi Kewen. I love your post!
    At the same time, I really appreciate your use of Youtube. I think Youtube is a great video platform that gives educators and learners more access to a wide range of knowledge.
    I also like to learn the field I am interested in on YouTube, the platform are simple and easy to understand, also easy to operate.
    Thank you.
    Joerica

2. chloeian0329

Hello Kewen, this is Chloe. I quite agree with you that everyone has the same ability to speak and not blindly be imprisoned by one voice. If there is only one voice, other people can not express their opinions, it is a very unequal act. So, everyone should have the same platform to say whatever they want, and of course, in addition to Posting, they must also accept others’ comments. Thank you!